WHAT IS A WELL-BEING UNIVERSITY?
As a model well-being university, Mason helps students, faculty and staff build a life of vitality, purpose, resilience, and engagement.
A well-being university intentionally cultivates in its community members the knowledge and skills necessary for thriving together. As a well-being university, George Mason University is promoting and supporting an environment providing students, faculty, and staff with educational, co-curricular, and professional development experiences, helping individuals assess quality of life and values with the goal of cultivating a well-lived life.
Mason’s Student Well-Being team works to achieve these vital goals. Connect with the team here: https://getconnected.gmu.edu/organization/wellbeingteam
At Mason, we define well-being as building a life of vitality, purpose, resilience, and engagement.
This includes thriving across a range of domains (physical, career, social, community, psychological and financial) and being satisfied with one’s life while experiencing curiosity, hope, meaning and joy.
We will help build vitality through the development of positive relationships and physical well-being through:
- Creating and sustaining positive relationships and social support networks
- Treating one another with civility and respect
- Demonstrating leadership abilities that promote well-being and positive change
- Pursuing a balanced life of healthy nutrition, regular exercise, and adequate sleep
We will help develop purpose through values, and work engagement by:
- Clarifying personal, professional, and community values
- Pursuing and engaging in behaviors that are congruent with values
- Striving for a life of purpose and meaning
- Preparing to thrive and make meaningful contributions in future careers
We will help develop resilience through:
- Increasing self-awareness through honest and continuous self-reflection
- Increasing psychological flexibility
- Recognizing and adapting to various situational demands that enable and promote values-driven behavior
- Finding and fostering resiliency to overcome stress and adversity
- Responding to stressful situations and managing stress in healthier ways
We will help develop engagement through:
- Identifying, developing and applying strengths in daily activities
- Opportunities for individuals to do what they are best at on a regular basis
- Deepening one’s sense of belonging and connections with others
- Finding opportunities to make connections with others in meaningful ways
- Pursuing community service, service-learning, and collective action toward a common good as ways to contribute to others’ well-being